- Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship
There are three ways to apply: "Embassy Recommendation," "University Recommendation," and "Domestic Selection." The first two are open to students who currently reside in foreign countries and wish to study in Japan.
- Other Scholarships
Some private foundations or other organization in Japan offer scholarships for international students. These scholarships vary with regards to recruitment procedures, eligible fields of study and amount. In most of cases application shall be made through Tohoku University after admission.
- Tohoku University's Scholarships and Finantial Aid
Tohoku University also provide some scholarships and finantial aid for students such as:
- International Graduate Program of Data Science (AIQDS)
By enrolling on this program, students may recieve a Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship. Please check the program's website for more information.
- Presedent Fellowship: It provides an amount covering tuition fees for international students of excellent character and academic standing.
- Global Hagi Scholarship for Doctoral Students: Recruitment starts around June or July for the first year DC students. It provides the scholarship of JPY 50,000 per month.
- Graduate Program in Data Sciences
Recruitment information is released around November for the April term and around June for the October term. Recruitment begins from the first year of MC enrollment.
RA Salary: (MC) 100,000 - 130,000 yen per month; (DC) 100,000 - 170,000 yen per month.
- Neuro Global Internatioanal Joint Graduate Program
Recruitment starts in October of the first year of MC enrollment.
RA salary: Program candidates (for the first half year of employment) MC about 80,000 yen/month; Program regular students (after the candidate period) MC about 100,000 yen per month DC about 160,000 yen per month.
- Research Fellowship for Young Scientists (JSPS)
DC1: 200,000 yen/month for 3 years; DC2: 200,000 yen per month for 2 years
- Research Assistants (RA) in the Graduate School: for doctoral course students.
RA salary: about 80,000 - 120,000 yen (paid twice a year)
- Research Assistants (RA) at the laboratory: can be provided by your supervisor's research funds. If you wish to go on to a doctoral course, please consult with your supervisor.
- Students who find it difficult to pay entrance or tuition fees for economic reasons may be granted a waiver for one half or the entire entrance fee and/or one third, one half, or the entire tuition fee, pending an application and screening. Please note the fee waiver application period is very short.
*Non-degree Students are not eligible for these waivers.
For more information, please refer to the following websides:
The information of scholarships (Tohoku University)
The information of scholarships (Study in Japan)
Fee Waiver (Tohoku University)
Academic Affairs Section of the Graduate School of Life Sciences
lif-kyom*grp.tohoku.ac.jp (exchange * to @)